Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Comical Juxtaposition

I do not drive. This means I must get to work via bus or foot. Anyone who has lived or grown up in Minnesota knows that the sole prudent dress for such a scenario is only the over-layered, nearly immobile, snow-suit clad character as described in a Louie Anderson early stand-up.

As I walk the 20 minute trail to work, I enjoy that while I resemble a boy playing in snow, enjoying the crunch below his shoe, the white glaring him in the eye, and the cold and fresh aroma that snowfall exudes, I am walking to a world where I suggest prices for multi-million dollar contracts, supply price logic for nation-wide product launches, and manipulate data that someone with "VP" in his or her title will use to decide the company's future. It seems all too unfitting for a boy who starts the day imaging snowball fights.

Secretly (although not, as I publish this), I revel in my oddities. I'd like to think I consciously decide to defy a norm (usually due to factual data) and needn't be influenced by what "most people do."   For example, I would likely use a car once a week. Can I justify a $500/month expense for something I do 4 times each month? Is the convenience worth $125 once a week to drive to the mall?  How reasonable is this when a slightly-inconvenienced, yet direct, bus trip is only $1.75. While I am an oddity, I strive to believe that I'm just living, proceeding, by algebraic principles. Shouldn't all decisions be made similarly ;-).

Later Days,
Rick
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

Zipcar needs to tap the downtown Minneapolis market, that's all I know!